Support Home/Providing Services/Tips & Best Practices

What tax forms do I receive?

posted this on May 02, 2009 11:27 AM

Updated: Jan. 29, 2014

Elance offers clients an optional 1099 service. In order to process and deliver 1099 forms to freelancers at the end of the year, Elance will collect the Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) from any freelancer who is a “U.S. Person” by requesting the freelancer to complete and submit the W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification online. 

As part of this process, Elance will issue 1099-K forms directly to U.S. based freelancers who are considered a U.S. Person, provided they are not receiving a 1099-MISC. These 1099 forms are available to freelancers by January 31st and are issued on behalf of Elance clients who request this service. Freelancers can find these forms after logging into Elance and accessing the Manage/Transactions/Tax Records page.


What tax form do I need to complete?

You need to submit the W-9 form if all of the following apply to you:

  • For U.S. Federal Tax purposes, you are considered a U.S. Person (see below):
  • You have not submitted a W-9 form to Elance previously and are making a withdrawal from your Elance account.

Am I considered a “U.S. Person?”

For U.S. federal tax purposes, you are considered a U.S. Person if you are one of the following:

  • An individual who is a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien
  • A partnership, corporation, company or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States
  • An estate (other than a foreign estate)
  • A domestic trust (as defined in U.S. tax regulations)

What if I am not a U.S. Person?

If you are not a U.S. Person as defined above, then you do not need to submit a W-9 form. If you are awarded a job with Elance’s 1099 service and are asked for your U.S. Person status, indicate that you are NOT a U.S. Person and you will be able to proceed with the job.

What happens if I don't submit the W-9 Form?

If you do not submit the W-9 information online, you will not be able to withdraw funds.

How do I complete my W-9 Form?

To complete or update your W-9 information, log in to your account and follow the steps below:

  • Log into your Elance account. 
  • Click on the "Settings" link under your username at the top of the Elance site.
  • Click the "Billing & Payment" link on the left menu.
  • Click the "W9 Info" link to view and update your details.

What  tax form will I receive?

A 1099-K  is issued to U.S. based freelancers who are U.S. Persons who have engaged in more than 200 payment transactions on the platform resulting in more than $20,000 gross revenue.  A 1099-MISC form is issued to U.S. based freelancers who are U.S. Persons who have earned more than $600 during a calendar year from an individual client. If the freelancer does not qualify for a 1099-K, then the freelancer will receive a 1099-MISC on behalf of clients who have opted into Elance's 1099 service. 

Where is my 1099 form?

1099 forms are sent directly to U.S. based freelancers by January 31st. You can find your tax forms by following the steps below:

  • Log into your Elance account.
  • Click on the "Manage" tab and "Transactions" subtab at the top of the Elance site.
  • Click "Tax Records."


Topic is closed for comments