As we prepare to close Elance, support channels will also be discontinued on the following dates: May 13th - chat support; May 31st - phone support; July 24th - ticket support. If you require assistance after these dates, please contact us on

What is a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)?

  • For individuals and sole proprietors, your TIN is your Social Security Number (SSN).
  • For other entities, your TIN is your Employer Identification Number (EIN).

You must ensure that the name and TIN that you enter matches the name and TIN on record with the IRS.

If you require additional information regarding the TIN or if you do not have a TIN and need to apply for one, please contact the IRS  for additional information.

For Clients, more information on Elance's 1099 service is here

For Freelancers, more information on W9's and tax forms is here

Was this article helpful?
13 out of 17 found this helpful


Quick Start Videos
Getting Started
Hiring on Elance
Providing Services
Technical Help
Trust & Safety


Elance University
A Freelancer’s Guide to Earning More
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service
Powered by Zendesk