Showing off your Skills is one of the best ways to stand out on Elance. To enter your skills, please log in to your account and follow the steps below:
- Hover over the Find Work tab on the top navigation bar.
- Click Freelancer Profile.
- Click on the Edit link next to the Skills section of your Profile.
- Choose from a list of pre-defined skills by clicking on the pull down menu under the Elance Skills column. You can enter in a self-assessment of your skills. If you do not see your skill in the pull down menu, type it into the Custom Skill field.
- Scroll down and click on the Add another skill button. Based on your membership plan, you can enter up to a particular number of skills.
To set the display order of your skills:
- Mouse over Find Work tab in the top navigation bar.
- Click Freelancer Profile.
- Click Edit next to the Skill Section of your Profile Overview page.
- Drag and drop the skills to the order you want them displayed publicly.
Note: The number of Skills that you can display is based on your Membership plan. Basic Members can display 10 Skills and Individual Freelancers can display 15 Skills. Small and Large Company users can display 20 and 25 Skills, respectively.
For team accounts, the company Skills are the Skills that are approved by the administrator of the company account and are the Skills that the company markets to the potential clients on Elance. The administrator can follow the same steps listed above to edit the Skills on a team account.
Smarterer Skills Tests Feature Retired (July 2015)
Q: What happened to the Skills Tests?
A: Elance no longer offers Smarterer skills tests. This means freelancers no longer have the option of taking new skills tests or retaking past tests.
Q: Will my current test scores be removed from my profile?
A: Skills tests you completed in the past will still be displayed on your profile.
Q: I currently have skills tests listed on my profile. Will I be able to take new tests?
A: No, you will not be able to take new skills tests. However, the tests that you have taken in the past will still be displayed on your profile.
Q: Will my Elance skills tests scores be carried over to Upwork?
A: No, your Elance skills tests will not be carried over to Upwork. But your listed skills will be. Upwork offers a separate testing service you can connect to those skills on Upwork.
I took a test and now I’m getting contacted by Smarterer. Why am I being contacted?
A. By taking a Smarterer test, you createda user account with Smarterer and Smarterer may send you direct email. All Smarterer accounts created through taking a test on Elance are private by default, which means they are not publicly visible on the Smarterer community. You can modify your notification and other Smarterer settings by logging into your Smarterer account. To login to your Smarterer account, visit http://smarterer.com/forgot_password. Use the email address you’ve registered with for your Elance account and click "request password." This will email you a direct login link. Having a Smarterer account allows you to display Smarterer test results wherever a Smarterer is enabled. Additionally, you can become an active contributor to the Smarterer community, contributing to new and existing tests they develop.