As part of Elance's efforts to build a secure marketplace, Elance requires that Members must be who they say they are. To become a Member and access services through our Site you must register for an Account. You must provide true, accurate and complete information as prompted by the registration form and all forms you access on the Site, and to update this information to maintain its truthfulness, accuracy and completeness.
The following rules apply to all Members, and Elance reserves the right to ask for verification details. If you do not comply with these rules, you may be subject to penalty up to and including termination of your account:
- Members must use their own legal name on the Site.
- Members must use their own contact information. Contact information must be accurate and is subject to verification. For freelancers, the location information must identify where the work is done. (If you are an American working in London, for example, your location must be “London.”)
- You cannot register for more than one Client Account and one Freelancer Account without express written permission from Elance (except that you may be a Team Member of other Accounts as provided in our User Agreement.
- You cannot use Elance’s name in a freelancer or company profile name (EX: Elance_Writer).
- You are not allowed to use another Member's name or logo in a way that misleads or falsely implies a relationship with that Member.
- You may not display or link to portfolio examples that are not your own or which you do not have permission to display. If you need to report a potential copyright infringement claim, please click here.
Who may use an Elance Account?
To access Site Services through our Site, you must be a legal entity, or an individual in business 18 years or older who can form legally binding contracts. Users are prohibited from doing the following:
- Individual accounts cannot be shared between Users.
- Team members cannot share or transfer log-in credentials.
- Elance Accounts cannot be transferred or sold to other users.
How does the identity policy apply to Team Member Accounts?
Each Team Member must be a real person. Each Team Member profile / Account must contain the Team Member’s real name, must comply with all Terms of Service governing Accounts, and must comply with the thumbnail image policy for Individual Accounts set forth in the Site Usage Policy. Elance reserves the right to require any Team Member’s identity to be verified at any time.
You may post a thumbnail image on the Site to accompany your profile. All thumbnails must follow these common guidelines:
- You must own the image, or have a license to use, copy, and sublicense the image.
- The image must be professional.
- Please upload .jpg, .jpeg, or .gif files. Animated .gif files are not allowed.
- The thumbnail may be left blank.
If you are an individual Member, then in addition to the common guidelines above, your thumbnail image also must follow these guidelines:
- Profile images for Individual memberships must be a portrait image of you with a clear image of your face. The image must be a portrait that is a truthful representation or you (i.e. no stock photos, fakes, or logos).
- An avatar of reasonable likeness is acceptable. However, individuals who wish to complete the ID Verification process are required to have a photo.
- Group photos are not acceptable. Please remove other individuals from the photo.
- Photos of minors are not acceptable.
- Very small images are not acceptable. You must be identifiable in the image.
Note: If you would like your Profile image to be a logo, you can change your membership to either a free or paid business plan
Elance reserves the right to ask for verification details at anytime. If you are unable to provide the appropriate verification information, your Account can be subject to penalty up to and including termination.