Leaving feedback is an important part of working on Elance as it provides a fair mechanism for all Clients and Freelancers. Freelancers build a reputation of Client satisfaction and Clients build a history of consistent hiring and payment. These serve as references for both parties when evaluating whom to work with in the future.
When can a client leave public feedback for a freelancer?
Public feedback is a publicly visible job-specific score and description that freelancers have attached to their account profile. Other clients who are considering working with a specific freelancer can review this feedback as part of their hiring decision. Clients have the option to leave public feedback on their jobs, limited to:
- Only once per job – future revisions are not allowed
- Only on jobs where payments are made
- Only during the period of time between the first payment date and 60 days after the job is marked “complete”
- Once public feedback has been recorded on a job, Elance will not remove or reset that feedback, except in extreme circumstances (ex: feedback being left for the wrong freelancer). This policy is intended to protect the integrity of the feedback system and prevent coercion by either party.
Elance highly recommends leaving feedback only after the job has been completed, because there will be no option to revise published feedback OR add new feedback on that job. Leaving early feedback removes your ability to provide a fair and complete assessment of job performance later.
Can clients leave private feedback for a job?
Clients also have the option of leaving private feedback (Mid-Job Feedback) regarding their experience with their Freelancer. This information will be monitored by and available only to Elance and will not be published on the Elance platform. Clients are able to leave Mid-Job Feedback multiple times during the course of a job.
Can clients receive other benefits for providing desired feedback?
Maintaining the integrity of the feedback process is critical for ensuring a well-functioning marketplace. The quality of the services delivered should be the determining factor in the feedback provided. Elance does not allow manipulation of the feedback system through means such as:
- Providing fake feedback in order to artificially raise feedback scores (ex: hiring a friend on a fake job in order to boost their ratings)
- Negotiating for free / discounted services in return for artificial feedback scores
- Coercing another member for desirable feedback by threatening to withhold payment
- Including feedback in negotiation of job terms or milestones
Can I leave feedback on a job in dispute?
The ability to leave feedback works the same across all jobs, regardless of whether a dispute has been raised or the job has proceeded to Arbitration. Once a payment is made, the ability to leave feedback is activated and remains active for 60 days from the date the job is marked as ‘Complete’.
Disputes cannot be filed regarding feedback publication or removal.
What should I do if my freelancer is coercing me for feedback?
If you feel that another member is coercing you for positive feedback (ex: to receive project deliverables), please contact Elance Customer Support. Coercion is a violation of Elance Policy and can result in penalties applied to the account, up to and including termination of the account.