As we prepare to close Elance, support channels will also be discontinued on the following dates: May 13th - chat support; May 31st - phone support; July 24th - ticket support. If you require assistance after these dates, please contact us on

How do I use Elance's 1099 service?

A 1099-K is issued by Elance to US-based Freelancers who are US Persons who have engaged in more than 200 payment transactions on the platform resulting in more than $20,000 gross revenue.  If the Freelancer does not qualify for a 1099-K, then the Freelancer will not receive any 1099 form.

Note: If you hold an account on both the Elance and Upwork marketplace, and the combined earnings and transactions qualify you for a 1099 form, then a single form will be generated and mailed.

Was this article helpful?
64 out of 89 found this helpful


Quick Start Videos
Getting Started
Hiring on Elance
Providing Services
Technical Help
Trust & Safety


Elance University
A Freelancer’s Guide to Earning More
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service
Powered by Zendesk